What Is Virginia Quality?
Virginia Quality is the state’s voluntary Quality Rating and Improvement System, designed to assist childcare providers in their efforts to assess and improve the quality of their services. The quality rating standards set the standards for quality improvement.
There are five quality levels. Each level a program earns (up to five) shows how far it has gone beyond minimum licensing standards! The criteria define what the program will be assessed on, and the required activities define the quality improvement activities that will be available to help achieve the quality improvement required for moving to the next level.
Joyful Care Children's Center is currently on Level 3 and working on Level 4!
Also, VQ helps families make more informed choices when considering where to send their young children for childcare and preschool.
Programs that participate in the VQ are rated on many factors, including:
- Is the staff qualified?
- Do they have a degree in early childhood?
- Do they go to workshops to continue their training? How do the teachers interact with your child?
- Do they talk with your child?
- Do they support your child's social and emotional growth?
- How do they discipline children?
- Do they have a positive attitude towards the children?
- Do they encourage children to learn and be creative?
- How many children are in the classroom or the family child care program?
- How many teachers or assistant teachers are in the classroom?
- How is the classroom furnished?
- What kinds of activities are offered?
- Are there materials for children to do art, read, play dress-up, or play music?
- Is it clean?
- Do the children get to play outside?
- How do they help get your child ready for school?
Children in high-quality child care settings are more successful in school and life, so choosing a preschool, child care program, or family child care home is one of the most important decisions parents and families can make.
By selecting a program with a star rating, you can be confident that your child is in good hands!
Smart Beginnings Virginia Peninsula equips early learning centers and administrators with intensive training and mentoring support so they can deliver quality programs and services for the young children in their care.